Monday, May 28, 2007

A Telmarine Lord's experience on "Prince Caspian"

Horsing Around.
Q - Why no blogging Booda??
A - I've been riding horses, I know...strange answer...but yes, I've not been painting, for some time now...about 3 months and it's because of horses.

I'm riding horses because I was cast in the sequel to 'The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe' as a horseman, I am one of several 'Lords'...a Telmarine in the new film 'Prince Caspian' by Disney. It's not a big part, but it involves horse riding and I have spent pretty much every working day training. It has been a fantastic experience that has stopped me from thinking about anything other than being a better rider.

I began by being tutored by an excellent trainer by the name of Maggie at Tetin Velkastatek (about 50km from Prague) and the first horse I rode was Marghareta, she was big and slow. Then I rode Bambi (La Bamba) and she was swift and lean....and I fell from her twice! (and only narrowly avoided falling a third and forth time by clinging on with my finger tips and toes!). This was in the English style (not the falling, that was rough and tumble style) and I lost balance when I was riding without reins or stirrups and slowly building up to a full canter, Maggie was controlling the horse as I rode in a circle and I lost it somehow...crunch. This is a typical training method. Over the weeks I rode Dollar and Penelope and Cameron and Marchena. Marchena is my favourite and is a beautiful and proud Spanish stallion.

I did most of my training with Marchena under the excellent tuition of Ricardo Cruz' team and most often under the watchful eye of Juan Diego. Just before we moved location we were told that we would have new horses for the film, all of which are Czech horses. I began riding Tambor (Tamborina) last week. He is not unlike Marchena to look at, the same tan colour with light or blond main. But he carries his head slightly lower and I miss the power of Marchena about whom I was warned 'Be careful, slowly, he is like a Ferrari'.

But Tambor is an excellent horse (but then they all are) and last week we galloped through the forest at the head of a group of fifty riders. 'We' being the lords (actors) and the rest experienced rider-extras. I can't imagine a better way to spend a summers day and I am extremely grateful to have had this experience...it more than adequately makes up for the long hours that are so typical of film work. What can I do...I've landed among a throng of perfectionists. At every level...what a great team of talented artists.

I will return to painting as soon as I can and when I do I will post my work here. I intend to return to more traditional subjects in the months to come and I will be making the work available for collectors. I may even create a few equestrian pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home